Blender UI paper cuts

In the context of Blender there is no confusion with breadcrumbs because it is not a browser and the user has not navigated through each of those elements. And on the left you have menus and in the center you have radio buttons. So it’s really consistent. They would also occupy a little more space.

You’re looking at it from the wrong angle.

Assume you’re a first time user or a user starting out.

Youre entire digital life you’ve been conditioned on how things work, from your phone to your web browser, to buying tube tickets.

“in the context of blender” is exactly why people have had a problem picking it up. It exists in its own universe.

In this case, “the context of blender” is not correct either. Look at the screen, every single item that functions as an expandable/dropdown menu got an arrow indicating that, it’s good practice.

Except these. They are wholy uniqe in the UI for no apparent reason, indicating to the user that they do not function like the other buttons. And seeing how they are brighter and doesn’t have anything indicating its a button its very easy to read them as plain labels.

1 Like

Every item that got a downarrow is marked with a green little checkbox in the screenshot.

but that does somewhat go against blenders core philosophy. I mean you still have the option to maunally fork the material or remove another material from the list. but that’s nothing blender’d do for you…because in some use cases you might actually want to have the same materials twice on a single object and then you get super annoyed by software trying to be more clever, than you…

2 Likes

It is not dropdown, its a menu and popover

mb arrow icon to older style

1 Like

Could be a good idea to make two tabs to separate input settings from hotkeys in the settings area (yeah, an area other time!!!). To solve the problem that @Rawalanchetell in this thread

And add some options to make optional pie menus. It’s strange that you need to use pie menus in the old 2.79 hotkey template.

Why would you have two slots materials with the same material?

as far as i know blender doesn’t provide an option to sync the 3d viewports navigation, the only trick i found is to lock the camera but the problem is the lens rect, it gets in the way for a clean viewports…if we can have an option to turn it on/off that will solve the problem without adding extra functionality.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting one - the ‘Make Links’ menu has both things that get linked and things that get copied and not linked at all. It could be worth separating these out into a Link menu and a Copy menu, with the Copy menu including things like Copy Object to Buffer, Copy Modifiers, Copy UV Maps, etc… which could then be pasted onto other objects with a paste menu.

2 Likes

For example imagine having a bot with lots and lots of diffrent parts. Each part has a material slot and now you just want to toy around with diffrent materials witout entering edit mode…

1 Like

Would it perhaps be possible/easy to allow mouse-wheel inc/dec changes in the standard numeric value widget? So for example as in:
I’d like to hover the mouse over (for example) the Z axis 0m area and scroll the mouse wheel to change the value just as if I was clicking the < and >

On hover-over the mouse cursor changes to <-> so it seems like it ought to be only a few lines of code to make this work? (Famous last words) Maybe I’ll go exploring the code (pointers appreciated).

You mean like Ctrl+Scroll?

3 Likes

Oh yeah, kinda like that, thanks.

But I ought to be able to hold down shift and have it change 10x faster! And maybe Alt to change by 0.1x.

And why the need for a modifier key that turns it into a feature you’ll never discover on your own? (and not in the manual).

And I’d like it to keep working after I click in the field, so I can say drag across the three scale fields and change them all together this way.

1 Like

Yes, I think with this, f and a good LCS support. No one can say that Blender is weird.

In 3d view Header Background A:1, This seems like a solution for you? Maybe Pablo can modify the theme by default.

Render button

Click and drag in an empty area should always have box selection (in almost all editors), or at least add as drag action -> box selection.

In Maya we have that behavior with the MMB maybe you can emulate this behavior with “Right click drag”

1 Like

Option to see the gismo when I use shorcuts

3 Likes

I was able to remove the requirement for the CTRL modifier to mouswheel-hover over numbut widgets, and added SHIFT as a modifier to mean “change by a step of 10 rather than a step of 1”. And I think this is SUPER COOL! I can now rapidly dial in smallish integer values using scroll for the 1’s digit and SHIFT scroll for the 10’s digit, and change float values like scale the same way. scroll for fine adjustments, and SHIFT-scroll to change things at a more reasonable (faster) rate.

Best hax ever, lol.

2 Likes

image <- This thing.

Am I the only one really bothered by the fact that the yellow box has pixels in the upper left and lower right, but not in the upper right and lower left corners? As pixel art this makes the box look horribly asymmetrical. Could we perhaps make all four corners the same so it looks square instead of diamond shaped?