Blender UI paper cuts

The list of material slots has a “search” area at the bottom of it - it can be hidden or shown with a little arrow.

If the list of materials is being sorted - ie, the “AZ” button is selected - then the buttons that move materials up and down in the slot list should be hidden. While sort is active the materials will always show in that order, so clicking “up” and “down” have no visible result; they seem to do nothing. But they do actually work, but they do so blindly - you won’t see how they have changed until you turn sorting off.

So, in short, the actual order of the materials is hidden from the user while sorting is enabled, therefore you should not be able to blindly change the actual order at that time.

1 Like

Just a very minor “paper cut”. But the “drag section” icons at the right of the Properties editor are slightly too low and would look nicer if they were vertically aligned with the “open area” icons on the left.

12 Likes

The active area is far too large for splitting and joining editors:

splitter

As you can see from the above illustration, it is actually large enough to interfere with the “change editor type” menu. In fact, moving your mouse to the top-left area of that menu button (within the purple box) will cause that button to display as “hot” as if it will work and bring up the Editors List popup. But it will instead split the editor if you drag down from there, or attempt to join the editor above if you drag up from there.

12 Likes

the rotation gizmo shows only one axis not very helpful in Gimbal Lock and Rotation Order we need the other two.
also the Multi Transform is hard to use with scale and rotation always miss clicking maybe a different highlighted color like in the 3d Viewport Navigation gizmo would be helpful.

8 Likes

When in fullscreen mode (on Windows 10 at least), any pop up window, such as the User Preferences, appears behind the main window, and requires alt-tabbing to view. Same issue you’re describing here I think.

5 Likes

grafik

The default Fill Mode of a curve object should be Full instead of Half

I just guess that full cylindrical tubes are used way more often than half tubes (or any of other options).
Maybe a new default of 4 for the bevel resolution would also make sense - so that having a tube spline is one click away.

31 Likes

Something like this might be good to mention in the discussion about better defaults: https://developer.blender.org/T54943

1 Like

Outliner “hide and block icons zone” become a sidebar

Much of the time I work in two phases one of modeling-animate and one a shading - rendering.
For this reason I do not need to have 4 columns of options available for the management of objects but I need only one or at most two, depending on the work I’m doing.I would rather have much more space available to see the tree of objects in the outliner.
Then I propose to make the area of the icons that hide or block objects a sidebar with the columns that can be displayed that can be moved to preference.

By doing so you can add a column, which you feel is missing, which exchanges the individual objects or groups in wireframe, solid, etc …

3 Likes

Good eye! Fixed it.

23 Likes

better organize the list of material nodes

11 Likes

I agree and this should include the filtering you apply. Eg. Age, alphabetical, file type etc

It would be nice if single-click on the driver icon would open the edit driver popover and double-clicking open driver editor. In the keyframe icons by double clicking you could open in floating window the curve editor I think it would be good, or ctrl + left click.
drivericon

11 Likes

When I open by default my blender on my laptop the first icon of the collections comes out hidden and cut. the camera icon is also cut a bit. It has easy solution but I comment it so that they know it, that in small screens it comes out like this. And also the outliner is too big vertically and the panel properties tabs are cut due to lack of space.
Captura%20de%20pantalla%20de%202018-11-03%2010-52-19

I also see disproportionate icons of active tool, they are too big with respect to the rest of all icons in the interface. If you scale a little I think the interface is more balanced. I also have to climb vertically a little timeline because it comes out too small

my exact screen resolution is: 1366x768
It’s from a fairly common acer laptop.

And this was in the list of changes but not yet changed, I comment here because it is still a little confusing. Having two “x” icons so close and so similar at the beginning short circuits your brain.
doublex

10 Likes

The menus have different styles between them. Some have the new design with the arrow, others are from before 2.8. Even the older menus lack certain consistency. Proportional Editing Falloff and Editor Type have that line and a title, while the mode switcher menu lacks these two elements.

14 Likes

In the Overlays menu, when you disable certain options, corresponding sections are conveniently hidden. This works for Grid and Motion Tracking, but not for Gizmo.

7 Likes

Also its the only way to run multiple instances of Blender on a Mac

1 Like
  • 1 - Change some themes values to reduce contrast in the interface and reduce the eye fatigue. For example the background of some elements to gray, instead of black. like the search box background. Reduce the white intensity of the fonts to 0.8-0.85 to make more pleasure to read it when you work all day or in the night.

• 2 - Remove shadow of the texts, that create a blurry effect

• 3 - Put the info of the actual tools in the viewport, instead the header. To reduce the constant pop-up that create the change of the header each time that you use a hotkey.

• 4 - Change the layout and icons of the new elements popup in the 3D viewport. It’s hard to understand the behaviour and it has some layouts problems.

• 5 - Change the order that generate the automatic columns, it mix all the values in horizontal instead of vertical, like is expected to mantain the order. Make hard to predice the order of the elements and is more hard to read and find something.

• 6 - Change the order of the Toolshelf and sidebar. Like actually we have blender in the UV Editor, where the order is correct.

• Could be good, like I said before, to have the option of put the Tool Settings in the sidebar (for example when we hide the topbar, or directly an option in the tabs) to use the sidebar like old T-shelf.

• Reduce/Delete fade in and fade out of the panels when are showed.

• Replace the topbar right menus by the proposed menus that doesn’t have the controls like X and +

13 Likes
11 Likes

would be great if I could click and drag on the workspace tabs area to see the hidden ones when working on a tablet. (surface pro)

Ahh, blender. Where cubes have Radius, and spheres have Size.

Saw this comment on Reddit, and it is pretty funny that it works this way. It would certainly be more intuitive if spheres and icospheres had a radius property and cubes had size (or better yet, separate length, width and height).

21 Likes