Blender UI paper cuts

You are probably better off providing this feedback to @jendrzych either here or on blenderartists in the icon thread.

1 Like

You’re totally right, I’ll go do that, thanks. :slight_smile:

Then the default startup file could ship with Collection 1 :wink:

1 Like

i just understand why this was annoying a few minutes ago, bear with me a moment.

we can’t in 2.8 click and drag on the properties buttons.
This may not look as a problem if you are using a mouse, for pen tablet users like me (i work only with the wacom) this means that if i click and move the tip of the pen a few pixels the button its not activated, not sure if it change the click state for a drag state so it cancels, but this translate in a lot of false clicks or a lot of stress to do a very precise click and release in order to activate the button and change a tab

imagen

in 2.79 we can drag across that its not really that much used, but the drag posibility means that the user with a stylus has less pressure/stress to be precise to change the tab which makes the experience of working much more pleasant .

4 Likes

When you middle click-drag on the side panel in 3D view, even if your theme makes their background fully transparent, it still thinks you want to middle-click drag to scroll the side panels.

To be frank, 99% of us who middle click-drag in the 3D view are to rotate the 3D viewport camera, not scroll the side panels.

This paper cut is beyond trivial and I don’t know what to say about it.

Some UI inconsistency. How much space is required for an icon plus a dropdown arrow? It shouldn’t need to vary. Ideally they would all be narrowest of these four different widths…

buttonwidth

21 Likes

This is a pretty big one: For many fields, the right click menu option: “Reset to Default Value” doesn’t work correctly, it just sets the value to 0.

For instance, when you create a glossy BSDF shader, the default roughness is 0.5 but when you right click on the roughness and choose “Reset to Default Value” it gets set to 0 instead of back to 0.5. Either I don’t understand how this feature is supposed to work, or it is broken in many cases. I don’t have a complete list of these because they are EVERYWHERE!!!

17 Likes

Here are 3 suggestions for outliner:

1. Switch to different objects even in edit mode.
  2. Box select to LMB and auto select (not just highlight)
  3. Filter with 1 click
13 Likes

Yes please!!! I’ve worked on many rigs where a specific bone eyedropper would have helped a lot.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this issue belongs here, but I’d consider this as a very deep cardboard cut…

If you zoom out in the viewport very far (several kilometers) the floor grid starts to behave very strange.

10 Likes

I 100% agree, I think left click box select is the only one that wont need code but still would make a huge difference.

The new tool tips for the tool bar and the properties panel are looking really good!
But I always found it odd to have one tab in the properties panel called ‘Object’ and one called “Object Data”, Especially since each of the different types of objects have different icons and different settings in the “Object Data” tab. Perhaps we should have the tool tip be specific to each type of object so it would read:

Mesh Data
Curve Data
Metaball Data
Text Data
Grease Pencil Data
Armature Data
Lattice Data
Empty Data
Image Data
Speaker Data
Camera Data
Light Data
LightProbe Data

Alternatively “Object Data” could be a prefix for each tool tip so it would read:

Object Data: Mesh
Object Data: Curve
Object Data: Metaball
Object Data: Text
Object Data: Grease Pencil
Object Data: Armature
Object Data: Lattice
Object Data: Empty
Object Data: Image
Object Data: Speaker
Object Data: Camera
Object Data: Light
Object Data: LightProbe

7 Likes

In the outliner window, when we hover with mouse, the bottom scrollbar hides the last item in the list which is annoying, if you have a large scene, you cannot resize the outliner window to see the last item properly.Capture

12 Likes

Maybe it should let you scroll pass the last object by one so it will never be covered when scrolling.

7 Likes

It looks like a floating point precision issue to me. This is very common issue in video games, the farther away you get from the origin of the world, the less accurately objects (in this case the grid) can be drawn.

This should definitely be fixed, but it may involve faking it in some way so that the grid is not actually getting farther away from the viewpoint as you zoom out.

2 Likes

Well I revisited the issue and created a cube which is 50 kilometers in diameter.

Unfortunately, this distortion affects everything inside the viewport, not just the floor grid what I assumed earlier. So I guess faking the distance of the grid won’t cut it.

2 Likes

If you put very extreme clipping also happens that, even in the 2.79 also

After looking at it. You may be right. I’ve experienced that kind of distortion too when I attempted to create a realistic solar system with real world sizes and distances almost 3 years ago. I had so scale everything down by a factor of one million so the earth was then only 12.7 meters in diameter… and even then I’ve had viewport issues when I created the sun. I guess I’m expecting too much from Blender, trying to squish the real world with realistic proportions into it.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s an aspect that can be improved in the blender. I don’t know how other software can behave in those circumstances.

1 Like

It would be nice to work with real world proportions. Even in large scale. I don’t know how 3D modelers and games accomplish simulating very far distances, but since I’ve heard that the world of Minecraft is several times bigger than the surface of the earth (7 times, as far as I know) I’m no longer surprised.

Not to mention Space Engineers where you can travel light-years from the world origin and the developers even thought about that by adding more distance measuring units bigger than kilometers (light-seconds, light-minutes, light-hours, light-days and light-years)

So if a game engine can accomplish large scale I wouldn’t see a problem for modeling software to do so.

The whole point of real world scales in a virtual environment is to give you an idea how big that object that you’ve created would be in reality. Without the ability to see real world proportions, it’s easy to mess things up because you’d have to eyeball the proportions between the objects, and eyeballing a 3 dimensional object proportion and distance on a 2 dimensional screen can be a pain.

This becomes clear when you are creating a room with furniture in it and you notice that the chair is bigger than the human who is sitting on it.

That’s why I’m thankful to Blender that it lets me model within real world measurements. And I would love to see this concept improve.

1 Like