Blender UI paper cuts

I love the idea of having a “bookmark” system for the 3d cursor!

7 Likes

Even just having a “Previous” location for the cursor would be a good idea! I will look at this for my experimental CAD functions, but it seems pretty easy to do. I would just store the position of the cursor on the node before I move it using the node’s options.

For vanilla Blender, we need only store a matrix (location and rotation) in the cursor’s “move” command code before it is actually moved, that way we can have one step backwards at least. Having multi-history would require a bit more programming effort I think.

Code for me would be something like this:

# set cursor location
oldLoc = scene.cursor.location
scene.cursor.location = Vector((xLoc,yLoc,zLoc))
# same for rotation
# restore last
scene.cursor.location = oldLoc

This is just the theory, needs work and testing, which I have not done yet. The oldLoc variable could be a list of vectors (cursor history) with an “index get” method like oldLoc[-1] for example. I will work this into my CAD functions node to see how it performs.

I should say that this CAD node is not proposed as a solution, just a vehicle for doing all the maths and techniques for CAD functions - ultimately I should like to see some of these functions, if not all, in vanilla Blender, cursor history would be a nice addition too!

Cheers, Clock.

4 Likes

For reference, you can look at the 2.7x addon ‘3d cursor enhanced’ which implements cursor position history (although it will be just a position vector).

5 Likes

Thank you for that my friend, I will check it out later…

Meantime, I wrote some basic code so here is the cursor:

Then I did a “Cursor Midpoint” on the two selected vertices:

Then I did a “Cursor Last”:

I actually used a dictionary to store the cursor locations against all blend file scenes, so multiple scenes can be accommodated. I know I can implement a multi-history using the same techniques, but this proves the point I think…

Cheers, Clock. :cocktail:

3 Likes

When creating a custom transformation orientation, the “+” in the light theme is pretty much invisible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Same setting, different names?

14 Likes

Please use reply button for the specific thread.

I don’t know if you misunderstood the message…

https://developer.blender.org/D5310

1 Like

Hmm, I’m afraid it’s not that simple…

There’s also the Sun light, and that same property is called “Strength”…

The easiest solution would be to rename everything to “Intensity”. Several engines call it that way, and in general it’s more easy to understand than “Power”…

19 Likes
  1. Now Bevel modifier can affect to vertices without faces.
    Ctl+E menu have Edge Bevel Weight parameter.
    Ctrl+V menu don’t have Vertex Bevel Weight parameter.

2. For modeling it would be nice if “Convert to >” Menu was in RMB Menu. For now only Spline and Text have “Convert to Mesh” option.

8 Likes

I made a dedicated thread about this already:

(I thought discussions were going to be moved over to that forum so it would be more structured?)

please bring back 2.79’s thin lines.

3 Likes

I agree that, in 2.80, the lines separating windows are a bit thick and intrusive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The new version of blender focused on beginners. All these tips, stuff, different useless buttons, widgets, and ect. Too much extra.
Trying to become clearer for schoolchildren, 3d max users, cinema 4d, and other graphics packages, the blender copies other people’s mistakes. All these “industry standards”, context menus, and so on, all this, of course, contributes to the adaptation of others, those who think in the context of other software, but it can affect the blender, isn’tit? Probably, it would be a bad effect.
For example, context menus with the right mouse button appeared a long time ago, along with graphical interfaces. 3d max and others use such management standards because they were laid down a long time ago, and a commercial product cannot change much in order not to lose customers.
An expert during work should play the keyboard like a piano, knocking out key combinations for most actions, not poking the mouse over the drop-down menus.
Will the blender lose its uniqueness to the enthusiastic crowd applause?

I can’t believe that just few people has agreed this post…
I’ve used blender since 1.8 era, but I think blender needs more such “fool proof” feature. It need for not only beginners but also professionals who uses blender in hard work (and has not enough time to sleep). :wink:

7 Likes

maybe because users rarelly packs textures in the blend.

My Blender UI Papercut is that the “dimensions” and “output” of a render are on a seperate tab then any of the other scene settings. It is a bit annoying having to go back and forth between the two tabs when your working on a render, especially when your testing a render. Simply having them on the same tab would e nice.
Ideally, although I am sure it would be a lot of work, since we can reorganize the panels within a tab it would be very cool if we could reorganize the tabs, create our own with custom choice of panels, or even move the panels between tabs.

4 Likes

How do you get those Very Scientific™ graphs?
This is a very subjective matter, especially the x axis

1 Like

That was rude!

As far as you discussion goes, you can’t help other softwares being rooted in “too old times”. It’s like so, nobody can change this (except Marty McFly maybe). So, let’s face it.
Having the option (i said option) in Blender to please people coming from left-click experience (as well as right-click contex menu, and many other UI standards) is a good thing, and you know why: it easily attracts pro users from other softwares. This triggers a chain reaction that we probably underestimate (not Ton I guess). Did you notice the big grants that are coming lately to the Blender Fund? I’m totally convinced that the less-unique feel that 2.80 brought to Blender played a big role here. Being not considered a niche softwares is important if you want to… well, exit from the niche. And an easy way to do that is to get rid of your quirknesses (or, better worded, those things that outside the niche are considered quirknesses, “niche-stuff”).
The Iphone metaphor doesn’t fit in my opinion. I didn’t only bring touchscreens, but also Apps, a powerful OS, and not least, glamour!

3 Likes