Blender UI paper cuts

Automatic reloading/refreshing all textures

2 Likes

Oh, my god yes!

I’ve been meaning to suggest this for a while now, but it deserves its own thread.

Also because I think that both bevel weights and crease weights should have a similar color coding!

(The way 2.8 still draws a black center line, with cyan “glow” on both sides of the line is very harsh on the eyes.)

UPDATE: Holy shit! Papercut was already fixed in the latest beta… amazing! I still think the black line in the center gets a little bit in the way of readability, though… :clap::+1:

Capture2 Capture

EDIT: With this, I’m also hoping that there’s a key I haven’t found to goggle overlays on and off. When I search the Keymap for “overlay” it comes up empty.

This one took a little digging into the documentation.
put it under 3D View -> 3D View (Global)
wm.context_toggle
space_data.overlay.show_overlays

5 Likes

I wanted to say that Multi Select Loops should be in a Select > Select Loops menu, but now I realized that Edge Loops command does the same thing? Is there a reason to even have Multi Select Loop?

The answer is in the question. No.

It’s the same thing. Just menu name does not correspond to operator name.

Screenshot

Wow, thank you for the workaround! It worked great. :+1:

The papercut is still definitely that “overlay” should be a searchable word for that setting. :slight_smile:

Shift Alt Z is the default I think

Thank you for pointing that out! But… why the heck is it named “Context Toggle” instead of “Overlay Toggle”?

Also, I just remapped it to the key under Esc (§ on my Swedish keyboard although Blender thinks it’s \ and doesn’t understand åäö I just noticed)… who the heck wants to reach for three keys for something that you might do several times a minute while modeling?

Still a papercut that has room for improbement, imo. :wink:

Imho the default focus for the (text)cursor in the ‘Save’ and ‘Save As’ dialog should be in the filename field. You should be able to hit Ctrl+S, or Shift+Ctrl+S and start typing the desired filename + press enter to save. Currently keystrokes end up nowhere.

6 Likes

Yes, I too would like to just type the name and hit enter most of the time.

Actually there are quite a few keybinds for the File Browser. I often wish keystrokes went nowhere after looking up from typing a long filename and realizing I have no idea what I just told the file browser to do to my system.

I think it would be nice if the focus was always on the filename field and all the keybinds would involve modifier keys so they could be active at the same time but not conflict with filename characters.

1 Like

So many posts so this probably came up before but here’s a little one:
When I choose studio light or a matcap and click on one of them I’m just testing different looks - I don’t want the panel to disappear at that moment but only when I move away my cursor from the thumbnail list

On the contrary with transform orientations and pivot point I expect the menu to disappear after clicking
but I understand it not doing that for consistency with other popups.

Anyway shading thumbnails should behave the same way imho

7 Likes

Show overlays already has a shortcut - it’s somewhere on the Z menu iirc. Context toggle is just the generic name of a command that toggles something within the current context, take it as the “shortcut type”.

@kynu I like your idea, the matcap list could a popover.

not if want to remove the nav icons

I get what you mean, I think the best option would be to have more control about what text is being displayed because at the current state you’ve either an option to show/hide all textual information along with the object name (which is still an option and I’m really glad that devs have made it possible) or show everything (which is admittedly not much at the current state). On the other hand I see many people complaining about not being able to see vertices/faces/edges count in the main view (this information is put on the right bottom corner), there exists a plugin with a similar functionality but IMHO it is too much of a hassle (I really do exaggerate here, because installing plugins is not that hard in blender but still) in a software that has modeling as one of its main features. The tricky part here besides the development time needed to implement it, how can it be incorporated into overlays popup, which is already filled with so many options.

Why is there still no new quit prompt in Windows?

qb

3 Likes

Windows prompt soon. Pablo mentioned this a stream or two back.

2 Likes

Some questions on outliner

Please make the selection of objects through LMB + Shift

Maya:
maya_g

Blender:
blender_g

Why is the selection in the outliner and the 3D viewport works in different ways? They should work synchronously

Why is it impossible to delete an object in the outliner using the Delete button?

30 Likes

I think all of those points are already being considered
https://developer.blender.org/T58969

Hope the Outliner improvements make it to 2.8, T58969 is not assigned to anyone.