Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

@fclem
Guys, this is what we need in the 2.8 wireframe, to be able to leave it this way, making the Xray disappear. With this way the annoying can be avoided the effect of dithering.

Activating the boundingbox you get the wireframe effect that the modelers look for.

7 Likes

Either of them isn’t satisfying. I like the idea of making DEPTH effect for wireframe. The only thing in a way is NOISE (or dithering effect). This is of course unpleasant for the eye. So by removing NOISE we have 10/10 wireframe.

3 Likes

The wireframe mode was not created to perceive depth. A wireframe is transparent in nature, requiring some skill and expertise in interpreting the model. Wireframe allows visualization of the underlying design structure of a 3D model. Wireframe renderings are relatively simple and fast to calculate.

3 Likes

The Depth effect (without noise) doesn’t interrupt an idea of Wireframe. You can still see design structure of a 3D model but with less effort to focus.
As for optimization you are right. Solution could be automatically turning off this effect with problematic mashes / scenes.

2 Likes

Currently the workbench needs to be optimized, it needs more polish work:

The selection override in some cases behaves strangely and is confusing.

The wireframe is practically useless in terms of visualization, too much noise and instead of being useful to visualize the object, it is inconvenient.

The method of selection of objects does not respond immediately as happened in blender 2.79, if you click in an area close to the object you want to select often and willingly another object is selected and not the one that you desive, same thing applies in edit mode especially for faces and vertices in the background.

Blender 2.80 can be defined as a good work of renewal, but I think it will take Blender 2.81 or Blender 2.82 to have a product that is really clear and fast in the processing of objects.
selection7

6 Likes

I’ve started using 2.8 in some graphical visualisations.
I’ve remember discussion about the wireframe treshold, that it was perfect for some representation, but this situation haunts me all the time. Flat surfaces, most of the time points with 3 edges.
Still it is really helpful, but most of the cases i need to disjoin all elements to separate objects and render outlines with flat shading to have proper representation.
Maybe we can go beyond 0-1 treshold, to min. where only outline remains.

Hi! I’ve select all edges around hole - and seems highlighting works no so good.
Especially in Edges Selection Mode - I can’t to see clearly the edge selected or not.

4 Likes

Wireframe display in Blender 2.8 is much less redable than in Blender 2.79. I try to model things in B2.8 for the recent weeks and I find it more frustrating than in 2.79 - we have plenty of view modes, but the way that wireframe is displayed (in transparent, but also solid mode) makes it a hard experience. Comparison below.

13 Likes

Related thread on BA: https://blenderartists.org/t/wireframe-display-in-2-8-hard-to-read/1133002

Wireframe is creating ugly wires, at least on my laptop, x-ray set to 0.0. (Intel HD520)

1 Like

I want each bone to be shown as a wireframe.
It is very inconvenient to use B-Bnoe because the bones are now displayed in solid form.
Not applicable because it is not complete yet?
I wonder if it will be applied later.

2 Likes

Post it on this thread::

It’s very important for me as well, since I’m a rigger/animator.

Pablo said in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOk-SYxllg (3:01) that wireframe thickness will be tweekable with the theme settings. Currently I can’t find such a setting. Is it discarded or just not realized yet ?

1 Like

User Preferences->Interface -> Line Width, near the top left corner. The only choices are either Thin or Thick though.

1 Like

Ok, thanks , I expected only to find it in theme settings.

That parameter is for lines in the interface, not the wireframe.

You’d think that, but no. Go in edit mode and switch back and forth to check for yourself.

It’s true, I didn’t see that change before. Some strange that wireframe line width is the same that UI line width.

The UI Scale and Line Width are intended for high DPI screens. They scale the entire user interface including the 3D viewport. You can use it to affect the wireframe width, but it is not intended for that.

We don’t have a way to change the wireframe width in edit, could be good because the new strange is thicker

Before:

and After:

I think it’s obvious that the wireframe visualization has worsened. If I didn’t work with blender for hours in wireframe mode I wouldn’t protest and wouldn’t say anything, but it’s a backward step and people like me who use wireframe modelling for many hours a day will notice it negatively. I’m not trying to be pessimistic or discourage anyone but this is the wireframe we have today. The lines of the colored axes appear to be above the object when this is not the case. And the lines that line up next to the grid are practically invisible.

13 Likes