Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

Oh, that’s the intention, it makes sense.
Originally I had thought that maybe that option was only for those who wanted to have a better visible dividing line in UI.

Yes! That would also be awesome for retopology. Please!!! :smiley:

Currently the wireframe remains unusable to work in blender 2.8 here a clear example with the empty background.

1 Like

I think in this case you should have activated the “In Front” (old object x-ray), in the object Viewport Display options, so that the sphere is drawn completely in front of the empty plane. Or those screenshots are with that option active?

The previous images had the default xray when you press z and choose wireframe, now I have tested with xray

I hope it can be fixed. Maybe @fclem knows something about it.

I’m testing on 2.7 and the problem seems to be empty image itself.

This would be a good reason to return to the traditional background image instead of using these empty images. With the image background from a camera in 2.8, you can see that if it works better than with the empty image

1 Like

I might be missing something very obvious but what’s the issue exactly?
Your mesh seems to be intersecting with the image empty, which shouldn’t. So how about move the image empty back a bit so it’s not intersectng? That way it should behave like a background image… :thinking:

The sphere with wireframe is a gray blur stain, does not distinguish the wireframe, I think it’s obvious that it’s wrong, even if it’s in between the empty image, it should look good. With the traditional background image it works perfectly, as I demonstrate when using the image background, that is currently only available from a camera.

Still not quite sure what you mean… Things seems to be working… :thinking:

Get out of edit mode and tell me if it looks like professional software what you see on screen

It happens whenever an object is behind something with transparency. I ran into the same issue working on a cosmonaut. I had to hide the glass shield on the front of the helmet to adjust verts on the guys face. I started out with a refractive surface for the glass and tried making it just transparent - neither one worked. This was on a 980 gtx. I haven’t tried it on my p4000 at work but I think the issue is one of the shaders being used and not a hardware issue.

Is your sphere penetrating the image plane?

3 Likes

Oh, I thought you were talking about the edit mode, So yeah, in object mode it looks a little weird.

No.

@DanPool “Is your sphere penetrating the image plane?”

Yes, it’s intersecting.

I thought in this image it was clear:

Yeah I could tell with yours. I couldn’t with RedWaxPolice’s.

Why would you leave it intersecting like this?

You modeled in half of a model and with the modifier mirror you dont need modeling the other half of the model, is a common practice in modeling

I know the modeling practice. But with image planes is also a commom practice to put them behind the mesh. So it behaves like a normal background image.

I know I would do this in 2.7x and 3ds Max because you could hide some of the faces behind your images while still being able to select verts/edges/faces on back facing geometry. All of this while being able to adjust what’s hidden very quickly. Otherwise you’d have to hide faces, unhide all of the faces again, make a new selection and hide it. With this method, you can slide the plane to interactively “slice” off the back.

1 Like

The easiest and most practical solution would be to return the background image we had in 2.7 so we would all be happy and not have to waste a lot of time fixing a wireframe. It is clear that with the background image these problems disappear directly.

1 Like

With enable and disable the modifier mirror I think it would be sufficient, about what you’re saying