Blender user interface design

“That should really be an option in settings, sometimes you want to stop on the frame you’re on”

That’s why you have the pause.

2 Likes

@zebus3d I think you are correct, negative axis darker; letters next to axes. I struggle with the letters within the axes because of readability. But that is just my opinion. Appreciate your feedback, its very helpful!

1 Like

So I’ve tried doing the XYZ labels inside the ball/axes/handles but there is always legibility/readability issues.
(Think about how this will look when it is super tiny; when you do the above execution, labels cannot be read)

This is where I’ve netted out. V4 and V5, only difference is color of labels.

Oh, and the label text would always lock to the axes (not orbit around like I said before)

2 Likes

Here more alternatives, double click for negativesPresentaci%C3%B3nHsv_01

2 Likes

Looks good, doesn’t work.
You need to be able to click on every direction from every view angle.

2 Likes

Double click for negatives

TBF contextually the play button should turn into pause and there should be a stop button that would stop playback and return to beginning.

current blender2.8 exclude include view layer collection
include

i think it’s will better use checkbox
exclude

5 Likes

Can we use right click drag window border to split or join? Right click border now is used to show two options:

But I think it might be easier to just use it directly to split or join area, just like how the left click corner works. this way users wont misclick the buttons around the corner and right click to drag the border also suggests clearer direction.

reposting this visual in this thread from “Viewport Axis Visuals (XYZ)”

2 Likes

Is there a reason why switching to Camera view saves the current view state and then restores it if you ask for Camera mode again, but none of the other view modes do this?

I can be in a User Persp view and use Camera mode to toggle back and forth between my User view and the Camera’s view, but if I select any other view (specifically the up/down/right/left/back/front orthographic views via numpad keys or very specifically the new 3d view gizmo) then my User view state seems permanently lost.

Is there a reason why we can’t have all the view commands acquire the same behavior that Camera View has?

switch_to_front_view (etc.)
  If current view = user_view then save_last_user_view;
  if current view = this requested view then restore_last_user_view;

And have a new "Switch to User view" command that just does
  if last_user_view_state_exists then restore_last_user_view;

This would make Blender consistent with other packages and help with the new user experience by offering an answer to the “ok, now how do I get back??” question that immediately arises if you click on the new 3d nav gizmo and get taken into a directional orthographic view.

Improving the previous versión-Alternative to interactive axes
Version more marked, but basically reflects the same idea as the previous version.

1 Like

Hi, I like the first version better. It is simpler and more legible. Anyway good job. I thought about something like that too when I found out that Autodesk had patented the view cube.
It would be great if the users could load their own (or community made) view orientation/switching gizmos much like the themes.

i would be like happy if dev bring back render button in render property

1 Like

The render engine must go in the top bar of Blender like on 2.79 IMO.
Because you have to go in the properties > render tab to change it.
When being in another tab or full screen or without the properties visibles, it’s a waste of time.

3 Likes

the render engine is a secondary thing that a user made few times each day.

1 Like

Usually you change the Renderengine once per Scene. So why would you want an Option used so rarely to be always on screen?

2 Likes

In case people haven’t seen this proposal for the viewport gizmo, which looks pretty cool: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/HKbbbc/

I would like to suggest instant display of tooltips when CTRL is pressed and mouse hovers over the button/widget. It will be faster to discover settings and functions. Also it will be much easier when navigating using a pen.

This sort of tooltip behaviour is implemented in both Houdini and Zbrush.

I’m unsure if this should go into rightClickSelect, but I thought I’d leave this comment here