Bad Tooltips Thread

This tooltip could tell what do this control, because the info is redundant and we don’t know what do in reality.

That has been fixed, so the tooltip is correct again.

Do you have a suggestion for a better tooltip here?

Can you list the bad tooltip and a suggestion for a better one?

Apply Ambient Occlusion/Dirt/Self Shadowing maybe?

dirtyVertexColor

1 Like

Not sure. Maybe something like “Limit affected vertices by distance.” Not sure that really explains it any clearer, though.

I still seeing the same tooltip, and I don’t know what in reality change the quality slider.

ot->idname = “TEXT_OT_find_set_selected”;
ot->description = “Find specified text and set as selected”;

1. Find selected text and set as specified for search.
  2. Set the selected text in the search field and find next.

ot->idname = “TEXT_OT_replace_set_selected”;
ot->description = “Replace text with specified text and set as selected”;

1. Set the selected text in the replace field.
  2. Set the selected text as the replacement text.

ot->idname = “CURVE_OT_select_nth”;
ot->description = “Deselect every other vertex”;

• Deselect every Nth point starting from the active point.

It’s match to “MESH_OT_select_nth”,
“Deselect every Nth element starting from the active vertex, edge or face”.

Not exactly a tooltip, but a really bad function’s name - Sun Lamp size should note “angular size” instead of “angle”, since the latter one can be easily confused with sun’s altitude or azimuth, which are measured by the angle as well.
Personally I find it pretty important to fix this before UI freeze, @billrey

1 Like

We can continue to fix tooltips a little while longer, so keep the suggestions coming

@brecht if I may ask, what’s the holdup on D5146 which aims to fix these bad tooltips? I’d love to either refine another round of iteration from your comments on it, or see if it can be merged before RC1 or RC2 since it’s quite a simple but helpful improvement for new users joining with 2.80.

Also tagging @billrey for thoughts (you already approved the diff, but I’m curious if you have any feedback after the subsequent changes). Thanks!

This might be a bug rather than a tooltip problem, but all the properties editor tabs say “Context.”

tool-tips

5 Likes

This close to the release my time goes to fixing important bugs and managing developers, tweaking tooltips and naming is low priority then. I don’t really have time to get into a back and forth with long comments now.

1 Like

Does this tread still alive?
Delete Global its not properly labeled nor properly described
imagen

Delete Global is not a separate operator.

could it be “Delete selected objects, Locally or Global” or something like that,
i know that its global or local because i have phyton tool tips active and because i know there is a difference between Shif+X and X.

1 Like

@billrey I think we should have a list for new tooltips for all different node socket inputs (because of the incredibly unhelpful ‘input value used for unconnected socket’) where the community can gather new explanating tooltips and discuss on them, maybe a different task just for node sockets.

4 Likes

some of the restriction toggles do not have a tooltip but a copy of the button name as explanation, which is not good enough and looks like a bug:D

i know this has been brought up but this needs to be fixed.

i have no clue if anyone can understand what that does^^

describes the technical implementation but not what the user can expect from switching the undo mode

3 Likes

Are the tooltips of the Options drop-down menu, in Object Mode, correct? The Parents checkbox seems fine, but what about the Origins’ and Locations’ checkboxes?

Origins tooltip:

tooltip_1

Locations tooltip:

tooltip_2

1 Like

Can we all agree that adding a period at the end of each tooltip line was a bad design choice? Can we de-periodize the tooltips and add periods only where they’re needed?

2 Likes