Alembic HDF5 support: completely remove?

Wish I would have found this sooner I would have said to keep it, or branch it with a (legacy) tag or something of the like. For example the alembic exporter for Daz Studio uses HDFS and may be desirable for some workflows. It’s what brought me here. While I would never expect a dev to support anothers lack of updates. Options are always nice.

Are you sure Daz Studio cannot export to Alembic / Ogawa?

I would ask them, because HDF5 is a pretty old format of Alembic, as was said here, in the first posts, there is always a converter around, look fo AbcConvert

4 Likes

Wow am I a looser. So much has happened between now and when I posted above. I totally forgot about it. Not to necro but out of respect. Yes at the time the Alembic exporter for Daz was putting out HDF5’s. Last I knew the exporter might as well be listed as abandoned. It’s listed as being compatible with the newest version of the software, but was still putting out the obsolete file format at the time. As it is with most things Daz it’s an addon so dev upkeep and so on is required. I can’t speak for it now as I have since move on to better solutions, but I’m confident nothing has changed.

1 Like

HDF5 is needed for opening older Alembic production files.

For that you can use older Blender versions, or use a CLI tool to convert the files to the not-obsolete OGAWA format.

HDF5 has been removed from Blender for over a year now, and it’s not coming back.

For clarity I’ll close this thread. Anyone who still wants to discuss this subject is free to send me a direct message.

4 Likes