Addon development - Reinstalling zipped addon won't refresh

New to Blender, new to Blender API development, and not really an expert in Python. Of course, my first self-imposed assignment is to migrate a rather dubious plugin from 2.79 to 2.80, go figure.

(Long uninteresting story about contortions to make this work deleted).

So, I got an addon with a couple of modules in a zip file. It works fine, but when I need to make changes, I create a new zip, remove the old addon using the Preferences dialog, and install the revised version, and somehow Blender won’t take my changes.

A telling behaviour is that if I make a mistake and I fix it, in the Blender console I get old error (but shows the new code in the trace).

I tried removing all contents from the %appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\__pycache__ folder to no avail.

Just restarting Blender causes the changes to be activated. Anybody else has this issue? Is there a workaround?

I’m pretty sure that’s the way it is, I have the same workflow.

You can run changes inside the script editor every time you make them, but that needs tweaking the last lines of the script a bit. See the examples from the script editor regarding the if statement.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve filed a bug just in case.

Hi! have you found the solution?
I have had the same problem with my addons. I need to close and reopen blender to release the addon cache.

Blender don’t clean our modules after uninstallation for some weird reasons

Try this

Thank you! I will try it.
At least I don’t feel like an idiot anymore, haha.