Add option "Auto Add Fake User" to user preferences

@LazyDodo as a couple users continue to blatantly ignore your instructions on this thread, maybe a few suspensions/silencings would help? It would be awesome if the peanut gallery could be restricted from continuing their never-ending argument so this patch could actually be discussed

1 Like

Iā€™ll be honest, given there is zero participation from the topic starter, and this thread has turned into a bit of a dumpster fire, iā€™m leaning towards closing this thread, will check in with the other mods and see what they think.

2 Likes

I think the current position among developers is that this workaround with auto fake users is not good enough, and that the more comprehensive solution described in this issue is the way to go. Because the workaround will bring its own problems, and to some extent gets in the way of implementing a proper solution. I will try to get implementing the proper solution prioritized.

A lot of the back and forth here is regarding @1D_Incā€™s opinion that the current system should stay is as, where e.g. materials would still be automatically deleted when they have no users. Among developers I donā€™t know of anyone that shares that opinion, and practically everone in this topic seems to disagree as well. So I would suggest @1D_Inc to just agree to disagree, and accept the majority opinion so this discussion can be more productive.

14 Likes

Brecht, respectfully - the patch not merely a ā€œworkaroundā€. It offers the user the option to work completely as previous, or automatically not burn their data. It gives the user a choice in the matter, that is all.

Approving this patch does not mean that no future improvements can be made. I referred to the Nirvana fallacy early in this thread, and it still stands as applicable logic. If software crashes on rare occasions for a known reason, we donā€™t just not fix it until weā€™ve determined a way to make the software NEVER crash for ANY reason.

I agree that much could be done to improve the core reason that this problem exists, but based on even this older discussion it appears that nothing whatsoever will satisfy 1Dā€™s requirements. He fought against most every idea presented in that thread, in the same manner as has happened in this thread; thereā€™s no reason to believe that prioritizing a proper solution would not again be met with an endless wall of text discussing collaboration and in-house requirements that donā€™t universally apply to the rest of the world.

The topic starter is actively engaging here; as itā€™s my impression that thread is for discussing specifics on implementation, not a ā€œdo you like the ideaā€, I have kept my comments out of it.

There is clearly support for the PR, and not limited to only those who have participated in the debate.

1 Like

I know this is once again offtopic, but I think itā€™s valuable to consider, as the thread will probably get closed soon anyway:

I wonder if thereā€™s some discourse option or plugin to replace the heart icon with thumbs up and thumbs down buttons. For example right now, I disagree with @thorn-neverwake in that the users should have option to configure data saving (I agree that data saving is necessary, but I think that it being optional would serve just about one person in this whole thread.)

Instead of creating yet another post to clutter this thread further, I would just like to be able to thumbs up posts I agree with and thumbs down posts I donā€™t agree with, without having to actually create new posts to get into argument. I want to send a signal to readers of the threads and potentially developers about my opinion, alongside other users, but doing that in form of a post is not always necessary. But I donā€™t have any other option.

With thumbs down button, we as a community could clearly imply when we donā€™t like some ideas without polluting all the threads here. Right now with the heart button, we can only signal we like something but not the opposite.

2 Likes

I know this is once again offtopic, but I think itā€™s valuable to consider, as the thread will probably get closed soon anyway:

Knowingly breaking the rules, bold move, so with that said, itā€™s clear the people in this thread will resist any attempts made at moderation, enough is enough, thank you for participating.

3 Likes