Add option "Auto Add Fake User" to user preferences

No, Blender automatically deleting unused data, but keeping data manually “deleted” by user is absurd.

It cleans only data with 0 users. Set all data with fake user and it will clean nothing.

Then it should be included in proposal.

That’s correct. So make your preference “UNCHECKED” on those items, you’ll be free to make anything a fake user or not, just as you can now. Your data will be cleaned.

Or just imagine it working. I think we are generally discussing the idea, and there isn’t really a requirement for Hoshinova to fix everything in order to imagine a solution.

4 Likes

Yes, I can work around limitations of any poorly designed system. Just as I do now.

Then I want to imaging delete button that actually works :relieved:

1 Like

It doesn’t feel like “please don’t add this feature, because I would use it” is a sufficient reason to not add a feature.

4 Likes

Massive garbage pollution across Blender ecosystem caused by using this feature probably is?

I am also much in favor of rather persistent behaviour when it comes to data we worked on. It should be rather an explicit “delete it” than an explicit “keep it”.

If data is produced in massive chunks it should be rather about how to manage and process that intentionally as “temporary” or “preview” instead of generally assume that state for everything and remove it silently.

1 Like

Again - you can choose not to use the feature. Blender can render a 4K animation which is pretty big and takes up a lot of space on the hard drive…

I don’t need 4K animations, so I just don’t choose that option.

When blender added tablet support, I doubt there was an outcry of users who were afraid this would force them to stop using a mouse because they would not be able to resist it.

1 Like

Except you can’t

2 Likes

How it will help with files that I would obtain from the other people during collaboration?

Discuss your production requirements with your collaborators. If your collaborators are fellow employees, then deal with it locally if they choose to ignore company production standards.

2 Likes

Okay, imagine we are in collaboration. What do you expect to hear from me?

What we need is a better data management system, the outliner and the clean up menu are not enough, specially when dealing with big files and/or a collaborative environment. The software you use should NOT delete any data unless you as the user ask for it. The current fake user system works backwards.
With a better data management system with its own specific UI (made for that task) the fake user system could disappear.

But until that happens, I still agree having a data-block section on the preferences as proposed by @Hoshinova is the best we can get

1 Like

That the work you’ve done today can still be accessed tomorrow.

1 Like

“Please do not mark needless assets as FAKE. Please ensure that your submitted files only contain assets and data which are necessary. Submitted files that do not meet this requirement will be rejected, and you will need to clean your file and resubmit the work.”

Part of my job involves publishing articles submitted by authors. We have an author guideline document that is 15 pages long, filled with plain examples as well as things we will not accept. If an author ignores this, their submission is immediately rejected and returned. I don’t waste my day correcting text formatting that the author chose not to do correctly.

1 Like

I work in a studio where we are all remote, handling everything through Google Drive. What we instruct everyone to do is to save everything within the file while it’s still marked as WIP, and once everything is done and approved each person must delete what is not needed with the help of a little script.
It’s part of the studio documentation and it’s part of their duties to manually clean up files

4 Likes

We do not experience such kind of a problems.

Sounds scary.

We work with lots of imported data, at our production scale manually cleaning files is literally impossible, because will take double production time.
It is in gerneral easier to hire an artist than a person who can manage its own data in that way, because most of people who came in CG came here to do interesting stuff, not proper data management.

Sure, it depends on the production, the kind of work being done and the specific needs of the studio/company.
But my point it’s still the same, if currently the only way to avoid cluttering the files with garbage is the fake user system, then Blender clearly needs a better data management system, because the fake user is really messy, I’d say it’s even harder to manage in collaborative environments.

1 Like

It’s not about creating an environment of fear. It’s about having a delivery standard and expecting others to follow it.

If I tell you I need you to create a logo as vector, I won’t accept a JPG. If I tell you to outline the fonts in the document, don’t send me a document with live text plus a link to some online font repository.

I know it’s more convenient for a videographer to send me a 90GB raw video file in native format - or, a drive filled with every video they’ve ever shot - instead of converting to ProRes at a sensible bitrate. I don’t care that it’s more convenient for them. Every production has requirements, and there’s nothing weird about rejecting work that fails to follow them.