Add-on questions, including "upgrade to 2.8x required" error

Hey guys,
I’m brand new to Blender, let alone coding in it, and I’ve written a quick panel add-on. It runs just fine in the scripting Text Editor, but when I try to install it as an add-on, I get the error “upgrade to 2.8x required”. I’m running Blender 2.93.0. What’s going wrong here?

On top of that, is there anywhere I can add the .py script so that the panel it’s creating populates automatically?

Your add-on needs to have a bl_info, and the blender field must indicate the minimum Blender version. Likely that field is missing or set to an old Blender version.

1 Like

That did it, thanks. I forgot to add my other add-on question so I added it in the edit: is there any way that I can place my add-on .py somewhere where it will automatically populate in the add-ons list? I tried putting it in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons, and while it does show up, when I try to enable it, I get an error ‘No module named’. I take it this won’t work and the only way to do it is to manually install the plugin?

It’s enough to place the file in that directory, the Install function doesn’t do anything more than that. The error is probably unrelated to how it was installed.