2023-05-30 Grease Pencil Module Meeting

Practical info

Date/Time: 2023-05-30T14:00:00Z
Link: https://meet.google.com/xxo-tyin-rem

  • Amélie Fondevilla (Les Fées Spéciales, developer)
  • Antonio Vazquez (Developer)
  • Daniel Martinez Lara (Grease Pencil core team)
  • Falk David (Grease Pencil developer)
  • Matias Mendiola (Story Artist - Grease Pencil core team)
  • Nick Fox-Gieg (York University)
  • Samuel Bernou (ADV studio, addon developer)
  • Shen Ciao (Developer)
  • Sietse (Developer)


  • Announcements
    • First commit of GP 3.0
    • Grease Pencil blog post
  • Experimental option
  • Next priorities for GP 3.0
    • Overlay engine ?
    • Modes ?
    • Properties panel ?
  • Collaboration on the project

Meeting Notes

  • Announcements
  • Last week there was a short meeting with the principled developers about whether or not the development for GP 3.0 should happen in a separate branch or under an experimental option in main. In the end the decision to do the development in main was made.
  • Falk: Now that GP 3.0 is in main the question is what are the next priorities: Proposes to work on overlays for edit mode, so that working on e.g. selection operators will be unblocked.
  • There was the question if anyone would be willing to contribute to GP 3.0. Amélie, Sietse, Shen, and a few others were interested. There will be more efforts in the next few days to get people started. One of which is to have a modifier an an operator written so that people can learn from the code.
  • Samuel: Will the new layer tree UI be exposed as a UI element that can be reused as a template from python?
    • Falk: Doesn’t think so. The UI would be written in C++ and not accessible from python. This might get accessible later.
  • Sietse: Does the whole rewrite have to be done by end of August 2023 (end of bcon1 for Blender 4.0) ?
    • Falk: The big changes have to be done by then, yes. That is the target we are aiming for. Of course if it’s clear that we cannot do it by then, it will have to be delayed.
  • Nick A.: Will the python API use the same function names or totally different ones?
    • Falk: We expect the API to break for 4.0 so, yes, that means that functions or other endpoints might get other names. We will make sure that the same functionality can be achieved with the new API though. Would be good to get feedback from python developers working with grease pencil to get an idea on what could be improved.
  • Nick F.: Will there be per point orientations in the next grease pencil (for VR applications)?
    • Falk: I don’t expect this to happen for Blender 4.0. With the new structure we have support for custom attributes now, so it’s only a matter of calculating/storing the information.

Next Meeting