2023-03-21 Render & Cycles Meeting

I got your point, but if you had used real test data, you would’ve known that ‘median’ works just fine in that case. BOD is already using it for the benchmark scores.

I have no clue what BOD is, sadly, but I do not have “real test data” and neither does opendata provide any such thing. All it is, is a list of values collected from blender users that download a benchmark test. If I was using a CPU, I could get slow ram and inject slower tests into the dataset. it’s in no way infallible or accurate in a quantitative sense. in fact, by being purely opt-in, and not advertised, it’s by default skewed a bit higher, because these people would more often have workstations, overclocked parts, or new systems to test.

but no, a median, or average of 3 data points is almost always insufficient, especially in the case that the values are expected to be different, and important individually, like here. Because there is always a fast, a medium, and a slow scene, only the junk shop scene would be tested if it was a median, and an average would be skewed toward the classroom scene. neither properly test blender’s capabilities alone.
this argument is getting a bit tiring, so I’m leaving it now.

hello, what are the requirements to join these video meetings, can I join as an ordinary person?

Have you read this part of the meeting notes?

other weekly module meetings, like the animation meeting are open for anyone.

if you have a general interest to contribute to those meetings you are welcome to those who are open for all.

I’m a blender instructor, I teach blender. can I join? I have one more question, you said that authors can participate, can bloggers about blender also join?

yes, I think so . that rule exists so that meeting can be focused and avoid user help questions.

The rule is there to limit the audience to just people working/contributing to cycles/blender, the list of possible options is there to illustrate the meeting is not just limited to cycles devs, ie the UI team is welcome to show up, as is the manual team, key however is you are expected to be an active contributor to blender (ie have recent commits/patches) everyone else is kindly asked to read the meeting notes instead.

7 Likes