Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CET.
The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).
- Google Meet
- Previous meeting
- Next meeting
- Pipeline, Assets & I/O workboard
- Core workboard
- #pipeline-assets-io-module chat channel
- #core-module chat channel
Michael Kowalski, the main developer working on USD integration in Blender, has requested that USD libraries get linked dynamically instead of statically.
- Important goal: get Python bindings. In general: allow addons to do more with USD.
- Add the USD Imaging module. This would allow creating geometry from USD primitive shapes (cones, spheres, etc.). Not a a big library.
- We could add the USD Imaging module in Blender 3.2, and target Blender 3.3 for the Python bindings and the dynamic linking.
- Michael can be the lead on this, with the help from platform maintainers. He’s working on Windows primarily. Sybren will give a script to set up a CentOS7 Linux virtual machine for experimenting.
- Michael will explore to see how much work the transition will be, final decision will likely be made the next meeting (or the one after that, depending on the time needed to set up a Linux development environment for Michael).
Sybren has been working on a new generation of Flamenco (announcement).
Julian is working on outliner improvements (T95802) for library overrides. There are two views under development:
- Individual properties that are overwritten
- The hierarchy over the overrides (overridden mesh property, inside object, inside collection, inside scene, etc.)
Bastien hopes to merge his underlying work to master next week.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 24th March, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time.
The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.