2021-12-7 Blender Rendering Meeting

So am I in the right thread to ask about if EEVEE will get baking capabilities in the future?

What is the status / progress of AMD GPU Linux support in 3.1 ??

1 Like

Metropolis Light Transport has incorrect brightness issues, that sounds like an easy problem to solve with AI, it could be trained on what correct brightness images look like, then simply fix the image post render just like AI de-noise, all it would need to do is adjust the exposure to correct the image before it gets converted down to a PNG, JPG etc. Or am I wrong?

No I didn’t mean exposure, they are different.
Here is the part of the path guiding paper:

Also, render engines like Cycles render in open domain, or scene linear state, which means the intensity info it generates is radiometric and the highest end of it’s range is infinity.It doesn’t make sense to have it adjusted to correct result only when you convert it to close domain PNG etc, what about EXRs then? It just doesn’t make sense.

EDIT: Actually now I think of it, I might be confused about MLT and MEMLT, I now remember I have read somewhere that MLT has temporal flickering issue, not sure though.
EDIT: confirmed my previous edit:

Anyway I think my previous conlcusion still stands

I’m not surprised that the problem is more complicated than I thought but I still hope AI could be trained to correct it. Out of interest when using Luxrender MLT in it has a slider for probability of large mutation which if i recall when it it will decide to give up and work on another area of the image, if set very low the MLT algorithm will strictly keep working on any bright areas of the image like caustics for many samples, or if set high it will work on the bright areas but likely diverge and look for other areas to work on after a few samples… And yes it stated that MLT works by identifying bright areas of the image to work on as those are the areas of interest for light transport. Sorry if this is confusing im just going from memory.