2021-11-23 Blender Rendering Meeting

Indeed! I am tired of faking non-physical caustics in cycles!

1 Like

The material has good controllability in terms of focal dispersion, but it is really too difficult. I wouldn’t mind if an advanced scattering material asset was given, but if the mnee is not spectralized it still needs some skills to get the trigonometric effect, but of course that one is easy

Nope, it’s more about Caustics. Dispersion is another topic and is more related to spectral rendering.

So incredibly happy to hear about progress on the Metal front—thanks to all involved!

Will the daily Alpha build be the place to download at some point in the future?

My M1 Max and 2019 Mac Pro are starting to get giddy…

1 Like

Yes, you should be able to get your daily builds from here. There is lot of Metal stuff going in right now and the aim is to get it working as quickly as possible, so keep checking :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really excited for the Metal implementation! Can’t wait to test out M1 Max!

So, when can we expect some sort of build to test for the Metal support?

When it’s ready for testing :slight_smile: It will be announced for sure!

2 Likes

cyclesx doesn’t support cpu+gpu rendering together anymore?

Yes it does. It’s just not very efficient at the moment. In my case it’s even slower than GPU only.

Since it is not efficient to render a picture at the same time, is it possible to render the animation at intervals?

It’s possible, if you script it yourself. You could start one Blender session with GPU and one with CPU rendering via command line. Not very elegant though…

I think if you need to visualize the working status, then you should improve the current image viewer, at least similar to the c4d kind

Saw the metal benchmark and M1 pro seemed to take about 80 seconds to render, that is twice rtx3050ti and quadruple 3060 laptop gpu. Can we expect metal patch to improve in a short period regarding performance?

The developer working on the Metal Implementation lists “performance tuning” as something that still needs to be worked on. As for how much performance can be gained via performance tuning, and how quickly we will see the patches for performance tuning, that is dependent on a variety of factors that can’t be accurately predicted.

It’s also possible that the performance results you’ve seen so far were done using different scenes and/or settings when compared to the benchmarks for the other GPUs you’re comparing the M1 Max too.

1 Like

Is the MetalRT patch in yet?

The kernel side MetalRT patch is currently in Blender Master. To keep a track of Metal development check for changes in this report and the associated patchs/commits: ⚓ T92212 Cycles Metal device

Note: Do not ask for performance numbers or time estimates and such on that report.

3 Likes

Thanks Alaska! Will do. :slight_smile:

In this thread there are instructions on how to build it yourself, if so inclined:

So, it’s more or less up and running. I don’t think it’s much longer until it’s in the 3.1 alpha.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Will look into it and maybe give it a go later today.
:slight_smile: