2021-09-14 Blender Rendering Meeting

The question is: what denoising method has been used?

Because ther result vary.

None: The best one, if you have a fully clean albedo an normal, it brings back TONS of detail

Performance: the quickest one, similar to the old one, still better than the 2.93 version

Quality: like “None”, except it denoise the Albedo and the Normal pass in case they are not fully clean.

The default is Performance, but I usually set None because Albedo and Normal are usually clean enough to be considered clean for this, and the results are pretty awesome.

the kithen closeups seem pretty similar. There is small artifacts and differences in the softness of the shadow over the cabinet, but detail-wise I don’t spot that much of a difference. They aren’t perfectly aligned though, so maybe i’m missing something.

The foggy scene has a lot more differences, and at first glance it seems that it is losing detail, specially in the background (the foggiest part). That being said, the blotchy feeling in the 2.93 version leads me to think that it is not detail but artifacts introduced by the denoiser.

Here are some comparisons:
foggy scene cropped version. Side to side comparisons:

foggy scene cropped version. Difference:

Kitchen difference (the two renders didn’t perfectly aligned, it may be exaggerated because of it. I tried to manually correct it, but still not perfect)
kitchen_denoise_crop_difference
Kitchen scene. The things that stand out the most to me are the difference in softness (maybe they are not the exact same settings?, and the top of the bricks, which in the 2.93 version have a dark outline of sorts, instead of a clean highlight)
diffs

I think this scene show better the difference between OIDN versions.

Blender 2.93 - 256 samples - OIDN

Blender 3.0 - 256 - OIDN

5 Likes

I believe this scene was used to show off OIDN 1.4 with the new features originally by an Intel engineer: https://twitter.com/j_c_inPDX/status/1395378070316412928

If I remember correctly, that scene has to be purchased, maybe something accessable for free could be good to use. Italian Flat should work: Demo Files — blender.org
(Note: There are some artifacts that show up when using OIDN with prefiltering at “low” resolutions. I believe this is just an issue of OIDN treating extreme texture detail as noise)

Other options could be adaptations of Luxcore demo files, or more original files like what you shared in other comments.

1 Like

I’m the creator of this scene, so there is no problem using the images for this purpose :smiley:

11 Likes

Here’s an adaptation of the Italian Flat.

Edited to update images to be a comparison between 2.93 and 3.0 instead of 3.0 with different settings. Also worked to remove some of the artifacts from the geometry of the couch.

Blender 2.93 OIDN 1.3

Blender 3.0 OIDN 1.4 Prefilter = None

8 Likes