2021-08-17 Blender Rendering Meeting

As mentioned in the notes, this is not yet available publicly. We don’t have a date yet when it will be possible for users to test this, probably somewhere in October earliest.

This is great news. So the chance of CyclesX supporting AMD during initial release is high. (at least my interpretation of it :slight_smile: ).

Either way thanks to both parties (Blender and AMD teams) working on getting CyclesX working.

3 Likes

Hi, @brecht. Is Cycles X scheduled to be shipped with Blender 3.0? Thanks for your work.

amd want a piece of the pie in the civilian professional market in blender on the project must be done well, if even they can not do well can also expect that third-party manufacturers to help optimize it?

1 Like

I have no idea what you just asked :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Posting here since the previous meeting thread might be obsolete:

1 Like

Does anyone know what is happening with eevee development at the moment? I know there is an eevee rewrite branch, but there have been no commits by Clement in a while. Was hoping that this was slated for 3.0 along with CyclesX.

Jeah no weekly reports here but its planned for 3.0. Will come out of the mystery anytime soon.

1 Like

To avoid drawing immature conclusions: will AMD HIP implementation also work for AMD cards on MacOS? Or is it limited to something tied to Windows?

1 Like

So do I wondering about this. I used to be a longtime Mac user while gave up for blender’s rendering speed highly using Cuda&Optix.

No.
(post must be 20 chars)

1 Like

Brevity is what we all strive for. But when two separate questions gets a single ‘no’, some of the clarity gets lost.

1 Like

Sorry this was answering…
Will AMD HIP work on macOS → No

1 Like

OK, thanks.

I have seen elsewhere that Vulcan is a ‘Go’, so I guess that will be the solution, even if the timeframe is uncertain.

It’s a bit of bummer to have 4x W6800X gfx cards and not being able to use them in Blender.

Think it’s important to separate vulkan for the UI and vulkan as a cycles backend these are two rather seperate things, afaik there are no plans to the latter.

5 Likes

hip is just a translation tool to translate cuda into rocm, as far as I know currently does not support windows and rdna architecture graphics card, but the article mentions windows then rocm must be on windows including rdna architecture, or amd did something new, can support windows I think mac is just a matter of time, in addition vulkan theoretically can be used as a universal computing api, but there is really no reference case, the implementation will be very difficult.

hip is just a translation tool to translate cuda into rocm, as far as I know currently does not support windows and rdna architecture graphics card, but the article mentions windows then rocm must be on windows including rdna architecture, or amd did something new, can support windows I think mac is just a matter of time, in addition vulkan theoretically can be used as a universal computing api, but there is really no reference case, the implementation will be very difficult.

Hi.
So FYI I’m a developer for AMD, and helping with this HIP work for cycles-x. I don’t mean to be gatekeeping but this is a developer forum. Probably not the right place for speculation about what other platforms, (vulkan, metal) etc could be possible.

The info above about HIP is part of the bi-weekly cycles meeting update. When we’re ready to say more publicly about HIP support in Blender and answer all your questions it will be coming from somewhere else for a wider audience. Please have patience, this is just meant to keep developers updated!

Brian

16 Likes

Personally I would feel more comfortable having such a discussion in public instead of in a video call. The bf-usd mailing list would be the best place, I think. That’ll also be easier time-wise, as not all parties have to be online at the same time.

1 Like

Yes @DimitriBastos it was discussed in previous meeting

Plans is to merge this into master in about 3 weeks from now (September 20)