The main goal of this meeting will be a status update on & discussion of ongoing work.
The meeting will be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
Present: Bassam Kurdali, Beorn Leonard, bird_d, Carlos Eduardo da Silva Barreto, Christoph Lendenfeld, Demeter Dzadik, Gregory Dismond, Jason Schleifer, Nico Sanghrajka, Orestis Konstantinidis, Pablo Merino Zaballa, Sybren Stüvel
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
New people introduce themselves.
- Carlos: using blender since 2 years, developing his own addon and learning C++, wants to help Blender development.
- Orestis: interested in module meeting, just lurking. Worked with C4D before, worked as designer on motion graphs toolset.
- Pablo: AquaticNightmare on Github, creator of the Rigging Nodes add-on.
- Tangent Animation shuts down: Tangent Animation Shuts Down Production. As Many As 400 People Laid Off
- All present offer their condolences to everybody at Tangent Animation.
- Animators, modelers, FX artists, welcome to contact Jason.
- Meeting calendar: Animation & Rigging Module Meeting agenda | dr. Sybren
webcal://stuvel.eu/anim-meetings/index.icsto your calendar, tested with Google Calendar and the iPad calendar app)
T81836: Design: New Graph Editor Key Manipulation Operators.
- Work ongoing, some minor fixes & tweaks have been made.
T83068: Motion Paths: Refresh all
- No progress,
T73434: Weight Paint Overlay, as that might be a quick fix.
- Will be looked at by Jeroen Bakker next week.
- Evaluation of the review process (in short: having the module as single blocking reviewer).
- People present agree review experiment has run its course.
- Conclusion: with the growth of the module, having the entire “project” as blocking reviewer is going to generate too much noise.
- No more adding the project as blocking reviewer, but add blocking individual module members (both developers & artists).
- When in doubt, add blocking Sybren.
- Christoph Lendenfeld (@ChristophLendenfeld ) woud like to have opinions on a “Blend to Neighbour” pose slider. The patch has been lying around for a while, and he constantly uses it in his personal build.
- All present agree it’s a good idea.
Jason gives a demo of the Rigging Nodes add-on, created by Pablo.
- It’s like a visual node-based programming language for generating armatures / rigs.
- Could be an interesting way to look at other aspects of Blender too.
- Even with armature evaluation & constraints turned into nodes, it could still be interesting to have such a separate generative node system. Such a separation will also help avoid circular dependencies, as dependencies could be in different directions based on whether you’re generating or evaluating; switching could be done with modes like edit/object mode.
- It might be good to have a pass over the node names, to make sure they are consistent with similar nodes in Geometry Nodes.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 19 August, 18:00 CET/Amsterdam time. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.