The main goal of this meeting was to discuss the progress of the short-term goals. The meeting was be open for everybody interested.
Present: Bassam Kurdali, Demeter Dzadik, Hjalti Hjálmarsson, Jan-Willem van Dronkelaar, Juan Pablo Bouza, Luciano Muñoz, Maxime Casas, Pablo Fournier, Quentin, Rik Schutte, Sybren Stüvel, Wayde Moss.
For brevity people present at the meeting will be referred to by first name only. People not present will be referred to by full name.
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
- As decided in the previous meeting, this meeting will only focus on the short-term goals; other agenda items can be proposed in the #animation-module channel before the meeting starts.
- Sybren is working on a new Pose Library system based on the Asset Browser, together with Francesco Siddi and Julian Eisel. He will give a short presentation of the ideas & work so far.
- Rik: Add a choice to apply the pose to selected bones only, or to all bones in the pose.
- There was a little discussion about workflows with Auto Keyframing OFF. Bassam suggested an addition to the keyframe menu, to add the selected Pose as a keying set, i.e. have the “Insert Key” operator only key those bones that are part of the Pose currently selected in the Pose Library.
- Sybren suggested using pose library poses as selection sets.
- Bassam: pop up poses in the 3D view, where animators are using it. This is already on the radar for the Asset Browser, also for other asset types.
- Bassam: The idea is good, but might be slow when having many motion paths to update.
- Could be turned into TODO task. Sybren will mark T43104: fcurve modifier scaling oddity as a bug to make space; Bassam tested it during the meeting and confirmed it still happens, and all present agreed it’s buggy behaviour rather than just a known limitation.
- Pablo Dobarro’s proposal (complete split between painting modes) is probably more work than necessary.
- Jan-Willem: maybe a new weight paint mode especially for rigging? Could also have impact on auto-normalization of weights. Bassam gave a counter-example of weight painting for shapekeys, where normalization is also very important.
- Demeter & Bassam: just use vertex group symmetry ON when mesh symmetry is ON. Demeter will post a comment about this on the task.
- Bassam proposed an additional solution: a new checkbox “Use Group Names For Symmetry” that defaults to ON. This could be added later, on top of Demeter’s propopsal.
- Juan Pablo describes workflow where he wants symmetry ON in weight paint mode, but OFF when editing the shape in edit mode. Still has to toggle the symmetry options every time mode switches.
- Bassam: you may want to have a symmetrical mesh but with asymmetrical texture painting.
- The suggestion by Juan Pablo, Demeter, and Jan-Willem: turn the “syncing” of the symmetry options between modes a user preference.
- Sybren is working on this in a proof-of-concept add-on.
- Bassam will try the add-on and give feedback.
- Maxime Casas wants feedback on T84901: Curves Interactions in the Graph Editor
The next meeting will be on Thursday 4 February, time 16:00. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.