Present: Bassam Kurdali, Demeter Dzadik, J C, Jan-Willem van Dronkelaar, Juan Pablo Bouza, Pierrick Picaut, Stanislav Ovcharov, Sybren Stüvel, Wayde Moss
The main goal of this meeting was be a status update since the last meeting, and to discuss the goal and timing of future meetings.
The meeting will be be open for everybody interested.
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
- Blender Animation Studio (BAS) ramping up for production of Sprite Fright, including animation tooling. TBD how much will be integrated into Blender and how much is BAS-specific (so probably as an Open Source add-on).
Design task T83068: Motion Paths: Refresh all.
Pierrick Picaut: As a temporary workaround: if you create a quick favourite
of the Update motion Path. Whatever the bone selected, it will update all the
bones that as already a bone path calculated.
Still to be turned into a task: Split X-Mirror option between Mesh Edit and Weight Painting modes, so that each can be enabled/disabled individually.
Juan Pablo will make the design task. This topic also relates to 5502517c3c12: Unify all XYZ symmetry options using Mesh Symmetry.
Jan-Willem: turning on both x-sym options makes things unusable.
Goal of Meetings
Often new improvements to Blender are thought up during the meetings. While it’s
good to do this, it’s probably more fruitful to pick a specific task for each
meeting and flesh it out.
- Use Blender Chat to discuss new ideas, not in the meeting.
- Focus on the short term goals.
- Post the meeting agenda earlier (instead of just a few hours before the
meeting starts) so that people have time to give feedback.
Time of Meetings
A while back, the meeting time moved from 15:00 to 16:00 CET. The meeting time
should be evaluated.
Say current starting time (16:00 CET) is 0h, these are the intervals people are available at:
- Bassam : -1 to +3 or +10 to +12 - Demeter : -7 to +2 - Jan-Willem: -8 to +2 - Juan Pablo: -3 to +12 - Pierrick : -8 to +1 - Sybren : -7 to +2 - Wayde : -2 to infinity
Of course people who couldn’t join this meeting because of its time weren’t able
to say so in the meeting itself, so please leave a comment below in that case.
Alternating between two meeting times, like the Blender developers’ meeting,
would be appreciated by Bassam and others.
Frequency of Meetings
So far we had a meeting every 2 weeks, with the last two meetings 3 weeks apart for reasons.
This was briefly discussed, and 2 weeks was chosen as the sweet spot.
Jan-Willem wants feedback on his “weight paint mode improvements” list (see
last meeting), Demeter offers to help. Jan-Willem will write a post on
devtalk, with the intent of updating it after collecting feedback.
- Stanislav pointed to the Changing defaults for animation workflow proposal on Right Click Select.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 21 January. The exact time is subject to
discussion (see Time of Meetings above).
Again the meeting will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.