Notes for meeting of Monday, 17 February 2020. 18:00 CET / UTC 17:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
- User Interface team workshop 2 days end of the week (William Reynish will be at the Blender HQ)
- Los Angeles Blender Conference call for content.
- Coffee Run project announced by the Blender Animation Studio / Blender Cloud.
- New .blend demo files available, developers to get them for internal testing.
- LANPR development will be stalled for awhile due to personal circumstances.
- Everyone to keep an eye out for critical issues, but hopefully we can do without a 2.82a (Dalai Felinto).
- Grease Pencil refactor is planned to be merged soon, followed by a code.blender.org post about it (Antonio Vazquez).
- Anti-alias for grease pencil is broken in master until then (Antonio Vazquez).
- Virtual Reality patch is ready for review.
- OpenVDB branch to be sent for review soon.
New Features and Changes
- Cycles Optix denoising for interactive viewport renders. (Patrick Mours)
- Open Shading Language was upgraded to version 1.10.9. (Ray Molenkamp)
- Freestyle: option to render freestyle to a separate pass. (Lukas Stockner)
- Shading Nodes:
- Wave Texture Node: add X, Y, Z direction modes, and phase offset. (Bartosz Moniewski)
- Vector Math Node: Sin, Cos, Tan and Wrap functions. (Charlie Jolly)
- Math Nodes: adaptive socket labels based on operation. (Charlie Jolly)
- Viewport: revamped color management, with compositing now performed in linear space for overlays and grease pencil. This gives more accurate results, and provides a foundation for upcoming grease pencil render improvements. (Clément Foucault)
- Clay Thumb Brush: new brush to simulate deforming clay with your fingers, accumulating material during the stroke. (Pablo Dobarro)
- Clay Strips Brush: option to change the brush tip shape between a square and a circle.
- Pose Brush: option to disable the IK anchor point.
- Brushes now have separate normal and area radius, enabled by default for Scrape brush. It achieves better behavior when working on curved surfaces and controls how much volume you want to trim.
- Weight Paint: add a pie menu for fast locking and unlocking vertex groups, with K key. (Alexander Gavrilov)
- Sequencer: rename Cut operator to Split, and use new icon. (Nathan Lovato, William Reynish)
- Graph Editor: improved channel drawing. (Alessio Monti di Sopra)
- Node Editor: resize operations can now be cancelled. (Matthias Ellerbeck)
- Armatures: improved panel layouts. (William Reynish)
- Particles: add select linked operator that doesn’t rely on mouse coordinates. (Philipp Oeser)
Modifiers & Physics
- Cloth: optimization for self-collision, improving overall cloth simulation performance by 15-20% in tests. (Germano Cavalcante)
- Fluid: more accurate inflow by working at every subframe, and reduce problems with particles sticking to surfaces when they shouldn’t. (Sebastián Barschkis)
- UV Warp: option to specify 2D transform parameters. (Lukas Stockner)
- Invert vertex group option for Hook, Weld and Vertex weight modifiers. (Cody Winchester)
bpy.data.orphans_purge()function to remove datablocks with no users. (Bastien Montagne)