Cycles Light and Shadow Linking

It’s in the world settings in the properties panel, you can see Light Group in the bottom here.

For future reference this isn’t typically a forum for asking directly for blender questions. It’s better to ask for help on https://blenderartists.org/ or other such sites. Cheers!

Thanks for your response. And I have noted your suggestion, I will stick to that forum until I get to the point where I maybe suggesting feature design. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Is there any plans to add so we can link and unlink lights from objects as well? Having only the ability to link and unlink objects from lights as it is now is nice, but in some cases quite cumbersome to work with.

Just for clarity: This forum is not meant for feature requests either :smiley: . Use rightclickselect.com for that.

This forum is only meant for discussing development or developers requesting feedback.

Was that directed to me? Wouldn’t really call it a feature request, but instead more of a question directly related to this development of light and shadow linking.

I’m not very clear what the difficulty here is, but it seems like the lights should each have their own collections. User can put either objects OR collections (or both) into it. Novice users will just put individual objects. To get complex behavior with many lights, experts can make collections and put those collection into all the lights. Collections that are driven by wildcard pattern matching of names could be added to Blender for even more powerful systems.

In addition there should be a toggle as to whether the collection is the objects that are lit, or the objects that are not lit. This would allow the empty collection to either mean nothing is lit or everything is lit (the second state would be the default for any new lights).

USD already is implemented exactly this way.